Thursday, August 13, 2015

Simon Says Wednesday Blog Challenge

When you start writing a blog it is helpful to have some direction of where you are headed with this.  Since I am new to this, I am using some of the blogs that I follow to inspire me or help generate ideas.  This is how I arrived at today's post.

Simon Says Stamp has a few blog challenges going on and I try to participate in them every week.  So, the Wednesday Challenge for this week is "Food &/or Drinks".  I'm here to tell you that I don't have many stamps sets that are related to either one of these, but it did make me sit down to look through what I do have.  Sometime this summer I ordered some things from Close To My Heart and I had the chance to purchase this Stamp of the Month set called "Ice Cream Dream" for $5.00.  You just can't beat that action for a full sized "D" stamp set.

I had a lot of trouble deciding how I wanted to stamp the greeting and tried several techniques before I remembered something I heard on a Kristina Werner YouTube video a while back.  It just didn't look right in black ink.  And even though I tried Onyx Black VersaFine and Momento Tuxedo Black, both bled into the paper when I tried to color in that skinny little detail in the lettering.  So I gathered the other papers I planned to use and I tried a few different shades of brown that didn't look right either.  I don't have Stazon Black but if that doesn't bleed, you can let me know!

I often experiment with techniques I've seen in YouTube videos and I had been playing with different brushes I already have on hand.  I wanted the softer watercolor look that I've seen on other paper crafting sites.  There just happened to be one of those experiments sitting on my work table in just the right color to work here.  Bingo!



I stamped the greeting on that watercolored paper panel in gold ink, put Ranger Super Fine Clear Embossing Powder on it and heat set it.  There was the look that I was going for!  The ice cream cone was stamped on the same Strathmore 140# Cold Pressed Watercolor Paper with Versamark and heat set with Ranger Superfine Clear Embossing Powder.  It was colored in with Copic Ciao Markers in the "R" family (20, 22 & 32).  The waffle cone was colored in with E33 & 35. This was actually my first successful attempt at using Copic Markers.  It really helps when you can watch a technique video instead of just listening to a teacher speaking to you from the front of a classroom 7 or so years ago!  I used Ranger Glossy Accents on the ice cream cone and let it dry overnight.  Then I attached it to my card using dimensional adhesive.  I love the effect of the glossy accents and how it made the ice cream cone just pop!


I used a 4.25 x 5.5 inch white card base but trimmed 1/4 inch off each side to make it fit the stitched panels better.  The papers are a pinky coral and taupe and I attached them to the card using Tombow Mono Multi and attached a few sequins on it in iridescent clear, coral and gold to help tie in the gold ink. About half of my sequins are from Cartwright's and you can order the size and color that you desire from their website.  When I ordered, I tried to anticipate my needs based on the many colors of paper that I have in my stash for the most economical shipping.  They have a minimum $10.00 order requirement and they will ship First Class or Priority Mail, your choice.    

I haven't yet decided how I prefer to attach my sequins.  On this card I used a few micro glue dots.  Other times I use Ranger Multi Medium Matte.  I have a couple of other options as well, so when I pick just one, I will let you know.

I hope you enjoyed this card.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!