Monday, December 28, 2015

A Bit of Kindness

I sat down in my studio yesterday afternoon to create a card for a friend to let her know I've been thinking of her. I love this "Beautiful Day" Stamp Set from Altenew so for this week's Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge I wanted to "make it sparkle".  The easiest way I know of to do this is to use your Wink of Stella Clear Shimmer Pen instead of water or a water brush with a Distress Marker.   
This watercolor is super simple as I only used two colors to paint the image.  I'm pretty sure I have never seen a flower in real life this color, but I adore it.  I used Tim Holtz Distress Markers in Peacock Feathers and Mowed Lawn to color the entire image.  I stamped the image using a simple mask to add the leaves.  I used WOW! Metallic Platinum Sparkle Embossing Powder for the image and the sentiment from the Hero Arts Acts of Kindness Stamp Set.  You might remember that Hero Arts created this for the November Jennifer McGuire Ink Share Handmade Kindness Challenge.  

The one thing I have learned since I started making cards is that people really appreciate getting a card in the mail so much.  Especially in this day and age of texting and instant communication, it means a lot when you take the time to create something and send it in the mail. 

On my previous project, I could not seem to get it photographed accurately so I was happy to see that wasn't the case with this image.  You can see all of the sparkle and shimmer on this card.  I really think a top folded card photographs better than a side folded card which is why I usually make top folding cards.



I used Canson Bristol 96# Watercolor Paper for this front panel and after coloring the image I spritzed it all over with with Tsukineko Sheer Shimmer Spritz.  I really like the Bristol Paper because it is so smooth. Simon Says Stamp carries the Strathmore Bristol.  However, if you haven't done much watercoloring, you'll likely want something a bit heavier to hold up to more water while you are learning.  I also like the Canson XL 140# Watercolor Paper but it isn't as white as the Bristol.  The Canson Bristol is a soft white while the Canson XL is cream colored.

Once I had everything watercolored, I cut the panel with my all time favorite, Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangles in the largest size.  For the super narrow border I am showing in this card, you end up trimming about 1/4 inch off one side of the A2 card base.  That makes it fit my watercolored panel.  As long as I use inexpensive card bases, then I can keep using better quality papers or watercolor paper for my front panels.  Sometimes I will use my better quality paper for the card base, but those cards tend to be single layer cards rather than just a base card.  I hope that makes sense.

I have more projects on the way and it will soon be time to get some Valentine's Day cards made. Thanks for stopping by to spend a bit of time here today. I always really appreciate it when you leave comments so feel free to do so!

2 comments:

  1. Would love to see this in a soft cream color! Beautiful stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! this is gorgeous :) i love the color combo and all of that shimmer!!! beautiful :) thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!