Friday, December 18, 2015

Today's card came from an idea that I saw on Pinterest and is somewhat inspired by Joanna Gaines, The Magnolia Mom.  You might recognize the name from HGTV's Fixer Upper.  She does such a lovely job on all of the homes she decorates and they are heavily influenced by chalk and distressed looks.  I personally don't like the look of brand new furniture that has been sanded to make it look distressed, but a lot of the things she does with metal and chalk boards, etc. is pretty fun and since it isn't my furniture, I like it!   So when I saw this style of a card on Pinterest, I pinned it to come back to later. This is the inspiration card created by Betsy Veldman for Paper Trey Ink.


Betsy has a video for this on YouTube so I watched it a couple of times. I don't have the same stamps that she does, but she gives a couple of tips on how to find a style in something you already have which is what I did on my card.

I started with a 4.25 x 5.5 inch piece of cardstock in Lost Lagoon which is the perfect green chalkboard color.  I do have some black chalkbooard paper, but I want to try this technique a few more times before I try it on that paper.  

I had one more Christmas card to make that I will be hand delivering later today and I didn't start on this until kind of late last night.  So with the lateness of the hour, I didn't really look through my embellishments to add anything.  But I'm okay with the Clean and Simple style of my card.  

I selected a flourish from an unknown maker set I already had.  I'm pretty sure it was a Fiskars Stamp Set but the packaging is long gone.  I stamped the flourish in Versamark on the top and bottom of the cardstock and then the greeting that came from the WPLUS9 Holiday Greetings Stamp Set. I put my greeting at an angle as Betsy did.  I sprinkled it with white embossing powder and heat set it.  

Next I took a White Prismcolor Pencil, my see-through ruler and following the line of text on the bottom of the greeting, made my bottom "banner" line.  Then I moved my ruler up, keeping my angle identical (which I could see through my clear ruler) and made the top banner line.  I loosely colored in some of the white on the banner around the greeting to make it seem like chalk dust.


I went all around the edges of the card stock piece with a sponge dauber, using the Lost Lagoon ink in a circular motion just to add some depth to that panel. Next I took a piece of dry paper towel and just tapping it onto my craft white ink, gently swiped areas of the card to make that seem like chalk dust as well.  I took a couple of the smallest snowflakes from the Simon Says Stamp Lots of Snowflakes and added a few in here and there with Versamark and heat set them with white embossing powder as well.  Once I had that done I cut that panel with the largest Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangle and adhered that to my card base.  I cut a Simon Says Stamp Eliza Snowflake and attached that to the card, trimming off the excess from behind with a pair of scissors.  

I'd like to try this card again after Christmas using my Craft White Ink and clear embossing powder to see if I get a better quality embossing.  I think my white embossing powder is not a fine detail powder, and I know my clear is so I will try this again when I have a bit more time to put into it.  

My card is not as good as Betsy's, but for the time I had, I think it looks pretty good.  Also, I don't always get something right the very first time I try, but I had enough right here to go ahead and finish it.  I know my friend will really like it as she likes the distressed, vintage look and feel of things.

Have a great weekend everyone and I'll be back soon with another project to share with you.  

3 comments:

  1. Vicki, I LOVE your chalkboard Art and Chalk Art with your monochromatic colors. You are right, Lost Lagoon is the perfect chalkboard color. I have never tried the chalkboard technique. You have inspired me to give it a try. Your girlfriend will love her card made with love. TFS my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement, Nancy! HUGS!

      Delete
  2. the softness of the colors on this is pretty amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!