Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Birdhouses with an Ink Blended Sky

Over at the Curtain Call Challenge this week, they have given us this bright, colorful inspiration image with these birdhouses.  I don't have occasion to use my birdhouse die very often, but I was excited when I saw the picture. As is usually true, I have almost no patterned paper in my supplies and definitely nothing that could work on this small of an item, but I could make the colors pretty and vibrant.

I do not know the brand of the die that cuts the card front.  I bought it at my LSS last year and they have since gone out of business.  I've never seen another one like it but this one was cut from SU! Tempting Taupe Cardstock.

Taking a 4.25 x 5.5 inch piece of Stamper's Select White, I ink blended it using a Mini Ink Blending Tool and some Tumbled Glass Distress Ink.  I made the sky slightly darker at the top than at the bottom and spritzed the whole panel with Iridescent Gold Shimmer Mist which helps the ink to blend and smooth out while giving it a slight golden glow from the "sun".  There is a lot to assume here, ha ha!  I cut 4 layers of the Paper Smooches Bird Houses in white and one in the color I was using for the very front piece (Vintage Jadeite and Audrey Blue) and adhered them together with Ranger Multi Medium Matte.  I was trying to mimic the look of a silver chain by using Silver Metallic Thread from DMC to hang my birdhouses from the tree.


There's nothing difficult about this card.  It was a lot of pieces to keep track of but you could make everything just 1 layer thick if you didn't want to go to this much trouble.  I also keep a little dish or container on my desk that I can put all of the pieces into during the "construction" process to keep track of them.  I love how the thickness of the birdhouses adds to the dimension of the whole card.

I am yearning to watercolor so that is on my agenda for today if I can get moving.  I have a feeling that you are going to see a whole lot of watercolor in the next few weeks. Thanks for stopping by today and I'll be back soon!

2 comments:

  1. Love this card Vicki! The ink blended sky with the gold shimmer looks awesome! I have a ton of mists I made and forget to use them! I love the thick birdhouses..make them look like they really are painted wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the pretty scene you created! Super sweet take on the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!