Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Bold Graphics

This week, Kara Vrabel is the Guest Designer at Inspired By All The Little Things.  The challenge has a more graphic look this time. I didn't know it when I started making cards last year, but I like really bold graphics and they are perfect for masculine cards.

The inspiration image has a very neutral and subtle background with bright pops of color that I wanted to mimic in my design. But I'm going rogue as no one else has changed up the colors yet!  I started with a piece of SU! Smoky Slate Cardstock for my background panel and a black top folding note card made from SU! Basic Black Cardstock.  I don't have a triangle die, so I opted for Diamonds (an old QK die set).

I die cut the Smoky Slate panel using the largest of the Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangles then I began to die cut a few of each color of diamonds for my pops of color; one large and 2 small in each color.  I wanted the most vibrant turquoise in my color selection so I chose this paper which is an old Creative Memories Cardstock in the color Teal.  The white is Stamper's Select White from Papertrey Ink.  I just arranged them by eyeballing where they should be and attaching them using Ranger Multi Medium Matte.


The banner is from a SU! Bitty Banners set of thinlits I have and the die cut "wishes" is from Impression Obsession.  I cut three of them and stacked them one on top of the other to get the thicker element. The "Birthday" stamp is one that says "Birthday Wishes" from the Papertrey Ink 2016 Anniversary Set.  It comes with both words on the stamp so I masked off the Wishes part of the sentiment, inked up the "Birthday" in Black Versafine, pulled the masking tape off the "wishes" part of the stamp and put clear embossing powder over the top, heat setting it.  This is by far the way to go vs. black embossing powder.  In fact, I'm not sure I will ever use my black again.  I did use my powder tool to treat my paper before embossing.

I hope you enjoy my card for the challenge and thank you so much for stopping by.  I appreciate each and every comment that is made!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is great! I love your take on the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card Vicki! It is a great masculine card. It is a good use of all that scrap paper I know you just love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vickie! Love your take on the challenge - the diamonds in masculine colors are fab!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!