Saturday, May 28, 2016

Image Inspired Cards

Stamping Royalty May 26, 2016 - Challenge #331
Hello everyone!  As you know if you read my blog regularly I have been on a magnolia kick lately. They are definitely one of my springtime favorites.  In my quest for life like colors, I usually do a search on Pinterest for whatever I am painting so I can study the colors a bit. What I wasn't expecting was to see how many colors there are of Magnolias.  I had no idea. Before then I had only ever seen the regular creamy white and the Pink Tulip Magnolias but there are other colors. Magnolia Coral Lake has coral blooms with lots of pink in them. The Black Tulip Magnolia has deep purple blooms and there's even a yellow one called Magnolia Butterflies.

Magnolia Coral Lake
So when I saw the inspiration image over at Stamping Royalty I wanted to create a Magnolia Coral Lake colored Magnolia branch. It didn't hurt any that I happened to have some orange and gold striped paper like the sleeves in that one image. I also really love how the color in the cake is a deeper coral at the bottom layer going to a mid-orange on the top layer, just like petals.  All in all I think the cake decor is very Hindi inspired and just beautiful.

I stamped a handful of the magnolias from Altenew Magnolias for Her Stamp Set on watercolor paper with Versamark and heat set them using Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold Embossing Powder.  Using a water brush and Ranger Ripe Persimmon Distress Ink smooshed onto an acrylic block, I initially went in with a very light wash of color.  The thing about Ripe Persimmon Ink is that when activated with water it's not a very predictable color which is one of the reasons I love it.  It's always nice to get a little unexpected surprise and Ranger's Seedless Preserves and Ripe Persimmon are my favorites to use for this.  When used as a watercolor, it has all these other tones in it and the most surprising of all to me was the pink undertones.  There's also some golden edges and just a whole range of shades from the palest peach to some bright vivid oranges. Just put your color on in layers and be sure to let it dry in between so you can see what the actual color looks like and where you might want to add in more.  I did less color on this first card to keep the images in the peachy orange family.


I cut the branch from the Altenew Vintage Flowers Die Set in gold to coordinate with the other elements on my card.  I cut the blooms with the Magnolias for her Die Set.  I assembled everything using a combination of ATG, Ranger Multi Medium Matte and Foam Squares. The sentiment label is a die I've had for a while and I don't know what the brand is. I got it at Hobby Lobby but I've not seen it there again.


Since I had stamped extra magnolias, I created a second card.  This time I wanted the more pinky tones so I added additional color in with a little bit of Berry Sorbet Ink from Papertrey Ink smooshed onto an acrylic block.

I wanted to use a Kraft card base this time which always looks so good with the Berry Sorbet Cardstock that you see as the background panel.  Both background panels are cut using the largest Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangle Dies.  I love pink, but this Coral is my absolute favorite this spring!  It is just the best color.  I used the Magnolias For Her Die Set, the same branch from Altenew Vintage Flowers Die Set and the same label.  It came together really fast since I already had the watercolor done.  I attached the elements the same as the previous card with ATG, Foam Squares and Multi Medium Matte.

I'll be entering this card into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge for "Anything Goes" in addition to the Stamping Royalty Challenge #331. Thank you so much for stopping by.  I really treasure and appreciate your kind comments.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, fantastic colours together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, beautiful card, love the rich colours.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki did you see you got picked at Stampin Royalty as one of the top picks. Congrats well deserved.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!