Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Our Rustic Cuff Story

I noticed a couple of months ago that whenever I tell a little story about the card I am making, a lot more people seem to comment.  This particular post is one I've had on my mind for a little while.  I really loved the last card I created and I wanted to create a special one like it to send to someone in particular.  This post is in honor of her.

We are married to twin brothers and have been sisters-in-law for more than 30 years.  We are both named Vicki (& Vickie).  Trust me when I tell you we have had some good clean fun over the years because of that.  But in the past year or so, we've gotten to know each other better and have gotten to be pretty close because of it. She is a fun loving person who knows how to see the bright side in pretty much any situation.  I really admire that about her.

Wayne and Vickie were here about a month ago for the Tulsa Chill Car Show (where BTW they won "Best of Show") and on that Friday, Vickie and I went out to shop locally for a couple of things.  You know, my local is different than her local and she was right here in an area where the population is over 1 million people and shopping for that compared to her entire county back home with a population of less than 10,000.  This is how we came to be at Kirkland's.  

She was looking for a gift for an upcoming occasion and I had mentioned in passing that Rustic Cuff was kind of cool and a somewhat local thing.  Without having one to show her, it probably didn't even register. But as we were walking around Kirkland's I noticed the associate was wearing two of these bracelets so I grabbed her wrist and said "Look! This is Rustic Cuff" and went on to tell her how this was an Oklahoma thing and how much I'd been wanting one.  Poor girl probably didn't know what to make of someone grabbing her wrist.  She asked me which color I liked and when I said the pewter one, she took it off her wrist and handed it to me saying that was part of the Rustic Cuff Tradition too.  I was floored.  I hadn't heard that part of the Rustic Cuff Story before.  As we were checking out and signing up for Kirkland Rewards, the associate learned that we were sisters-in-law, married to twin brothers, and that we have the same first and last name. She took her other bracelet off and gave it to Vickie.  It was a pretty special thing to receive the RAK but also seeing Vickie receive one as well. There is no one I would rather have shared that experience with.

The White Emerson
Of course, then I had to take Vickie over to the little boutique nearby that carries lots of different Rustic Cuff Bracelets and we both felt we needed another bracelet to go with the one we had been RAK'd. . .  *Ü*  The ones we have are all this style called The Emerson.

I've been wanting to make a card to send her to commemorate that occasion although I don't think either of us will ever forget it.  I used the colors of our bracelets for this card; Pewter, Rose, White and Plum. When you buy one of these bracelets you can get them with a gold Rustic Cuff logo charm or a silver one. We both have gold.  This is not the most colorful card, but I know Vickie will realize the time and thought I put into making it.  She has been one of my biggest supporters since I started making cards and writing my blog and she loves to receive them. You can read the full Rustic Cuff Story here if you are interested.  Suffice it to say that even Oprah has one (or possibly more).

This card was made in pretty much the same way as my previous post, just with different colors.  I chose to use the heat embossed gold leaves without adding color to the vellum to represent the white bracelets.  The rose colored flowers were colored with Hibiscus Burst, and the purple ones with Amethyst Allure. The background panel was inked up with Smoky Slate to represent the pewter bracelets.  Because of the logo charms on our bracelets, I went with gold accents where normally I think I would have used silver.  I used Altenew Beautiful Day and Altenew Peony Bouquet with their coordinating dies for the flowers and the Papertrey Ink Scripted Stamp Set and Scripted Dies for the sentiment. The banner is from the Tag Sale - Quilted die.


Thanks so much for stopping by today.  I hope you enjoyed my story of getting to share in some pretty magical moments with my Sister-In-Law/Friend.  I treasure her and she does mean the world to me.  The Word Art Wednesay Challenge Blog is all about being a blessing to someone.  I think it's also important to notice when someone is being a blessing to us and Vickie is definitely a blessing to me!

3 comments:

  1. What a truly enchanting story!! How fantastic it is that you have another Vickie to have shared this amazing experience! This a lovely card and so many elements are meaningful which makes it seem so very special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! Dropping by to say Thank you so much for entering your art work into WAW this week Anything Goes Challenge - where you can upload 5 pieces each week - a total of 10 opportunities to win a prize! Happy Dance - it is a blessing to have you come by and join the challenge - may your day be filled with fun and laughter - Thank you for entering this lovely card!! I am leaving you with this message "The Lord is Good - All of the Time" Blessings, Gail WAW DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story, Vicki! I hadn't heard of the Rustic Cuffs. Will keep my eye out for them! Love the card too and I'm sure Vickie will treasure it! How cool that you lived in Apex! It's a lovely town. The new Cary!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!