Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Another Card for the Altenew Challenge

As I was sitting and working on a completely different style of card on Monday afternoon, I had an idea for another card for the Altenew July 2016 Inspiration Challenge using the image on the left and using the theme of "Wedding".  Altenew lets you enter their challenge as many times as you wish in one month so I decided to go for it again and make this second card. I could easily make a few more too. I used the color palette given in a different way this time having the largest blooms be yellow with only a very small amount of the pink this time.

For this card, I cut a 4.25 x 5.5 inch piece of the gold foil and white striped paper to be my background and mounted it on a Top Folding Vertical Card Base made from Stamper's Select White Cardstock. This is the same foiled paper that I used on my card here, just a much larger piece of it. It's called "Be Bold, Be Bright" and is available at Hobby Lobby and happens to be half off this week.   Let me just say that while I love the gold, it is very hard to photograph although I did manage to get a couple of acceptable images to use for this post.  Anyway, the foil makes for an instantly elegant card.  I have several patterns in the gold and white paper but again, I like stripes although I may try another pattern later.

Using Altenew's Peony Bouquet and Beautiful Day Stamp Sets, I stamped and heat embossed them using Versamark and Simon Says Stamp Antique Gold Embossing Powder.  To color the flowers I stamped inside the outlines using Lemon Tart and Harvest Gold.  The 2nd and 3rd detail layer were both stamped with the Harvest Gold but the color deepens a bit when you stamp the next layer over it.  I feel like I am not explaining myself very well so please ask if you have a question.  I tried using a third ink color, but I didn't like the way it looked.  This way is much more subtle and realistic.  The larger leaves are from the Beautiful Day Stamp Set while the single leaves are part of the Peony Bouquet Stamp Set. I used New Leaf for all of the leaves and Raspberry Fizz for the berries.  It's a little difficult to get those berry filled little sprays lined up and inked up so today I die cut them from watercolor paper first, then stamped and heat embossed them after cutting. To keep the paper lined up for stamping, I left the positive pieces in the negative and put a piece of masking tape over the back side to hold them in place until I was done with all the stamping.  This worked very well.  The stem and leaves are one part and the berry details are another.  Then each of those has another layer for coloring them in.  It's a little bit tedious, but I honestly didn't mind and felt it was worth it for the final results.  I used the Beautiful Day and Peony Bouquet coordinating dies.


I also cut a Spellbinders Labels 42 Decorative Elements as an anchor for my bouquet although you can't see much of it in the end.  It's just a skosh wider than the standard A2 card, but it will still fit in the envelope if you do it carefully.  I wanted to have my arrangement go from the upper left corner to lower right this time which helps draw your eye from the two corners and meet up at the greeting of "Congratulations" which was stamped using Altenew's Magnolias for Her Stamp Set.  The banner is from Papertrey Ink's Tag Sale: Quilted Die.  I've used this banner way more than the other part of the die.  Not every sentiment will fit onto it, but it is the perfect size for many of them. *Ü*


It's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but this is a super elegant card that you could give for a wedding or engagement card or even to a couple who is celebrating a milestone anniversary.  The peonies were spritzed with some Iridescent Gold Shimmer Mist (this one would be close) after the ink dried but before they were adhered to the card base using Ranger Multi Medium Matte. The only element I used dimensional adhesive for is the banner.  

I hope you enjoyed another card for the Altenew Challenge.  Be sure to stop by their blog and see the other entries. Thanks for stopping by today. See you soon! 

3 comments:

  1. I love that you are having so much fun creating these cards. Your talent shines! Keep those creative thoughts flowing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This certainly has a big WOW factor! The white and gold stripes seem to be the perfect background for this lovely bouquet! I really like how you intersperse the gold accents to coordinate everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning Vicki! Love the striped backdrop for those pretty blooms. Great design and layering of elements. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!