Saturday, June 17, 2017

Ellen Hutson's June 2017 Pin Sights Challenge

I was so surprised when I went to look for something I'd seen on the Ellen Hutson Classroom and saw that I won the Mix It Up Challenge for last month. I haven't gotten my gift certificate yet, but I was excited to win.  For one thing, Ellen Hutson Challenges require the use of their products and I only have a few things. The gift Certificate will allow me to purchase another of their products that I've admired for a while, the Mondo Peony Stamp and Die Set.  I'm pretty anxious to order it.  It's a more expensive set that I wouldn't normally buy for that reason so I'm glad I'll have a gift Certificate to help pay for that.  I won with the entry on the right which was made with the BCRF Fundraiser Set called Courage.

Anyhow, when I was on that site, I saw the newest Pin Sights Challenge and wanted to play. I just love the colors in this challenge - the pink and orange in particular.  There's a touch of Yellow but the whole combination is just so pretty and summery!  We can use the shapes, the objects or whatever we love about the inspiration to be inspired by for our design.  For me, It's a combination of the colors and the flowers.

The Mondo Magnolia is one of only two Ellen Hutson Stamp Sets I have and it can be water colored so I chose to use that.  I started by heat embossing the magnolia in Antique Gold Embossing Powder.  I wanted to make a card for a girlfriend using my "Fabulous" die designed by Julie Ebersole and was a gift with purchase a couple of years back around Thanksgiving.  You can purchase it now and I've linked it for you.  

To color my bloom, I grabbed three acrylic blocks and smooshed Distress Inks in Picked Raspberry, Ripe Persimmon and Fossilized Amber - one color to each block.  I did a light wash of color over the entire bloom with Picked Raspberry.  I wet the entire bloom with clean water first and then dropped in the color while it was still wet so that it would spread out and make each petal light pink to begin with.  There were a few areas where the color didn't touch at all initially so those areas remained white. Once that was dry, I went in and did a second and third layer of color because I wanted something more vibrant.  Next, I wet each petal again and went in with the Ripe Persimmon and put that color only where I thought the shadows would be. This let the Ripe Persimmon mix and mingle with the Picked Raspberry.  For the final color, I mixed a little Fossilized Amber with some Iridescent Gold Shimmer Mist to drop in the yellow color on the petals and then misted the whole thing with Iridescent Gold Shimmer Mist.  When it was nearly dry but not quite there yet, I used my fingers to shape the outer petals a little bit. That is a little trick I learned from my friend Yana.  

I die cut a Scalloped Top Folding Card Base from White Cardstock and adhered the magnolia to the card base with a piece of 1 inch scor-tape on the back.  It's such a strong adhesive that it will hold just by placing it in the center of the bloom.  I heat embossed the "hello" from the Altenew Label Love in Antique Gold as well and then trimmed it out to go above the gold die cut word, "fabulous" so that it would read "Hello Fabulous".  It is always hard to photograph White on White cards, but this one worked out pretty well and you can see all of the shimmer on the bloom.


Thanks so much for stopping by today and seeing my project.  I hope some of you will be able to check out the challenge and participate in it with me.  There a $50.00 Gift Card to the Ellen Hutson Store up for grabs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!