Thursday, August 17, 2017

Gold IS The New Black!

I don't often buy patterned paper because I mostly use solid color cardstock. Recently I went looking for some patterned paper at Hobby Lobby while they were having a 50% off sale.  I found so many cool papers to add to my stash and a lot of them have themes that will work great for guys.  Many of the papers in this collection (more than half) have gold foil accents and you know how much I love that!  For me, Gold is as basic a color as black and is also the perfect neutral.  I wouldn't be without black cardstock in my supplies and the same is true of gold for me.  It adds an instant touch of class and elegance to any card.

I picked up two paper pads from The Paper Studio (Hobby Lobby's Brand) in the 4.5 x 6.5 size pads.  One is called "The Getaway" and has lots of maps and travel themed papers all done in black & white with half of them having gold foil accents. The other is called "Black Tie Optional", again with many gold foiled accents. I split these out when I get them home and store them in a big 12 x 12 Cropper Hopper Paper Holder.  The plain Black and White patterns (without gold) go in one section of the Paper Holder and the ones that do have gold accents go in another pocket in the same Paper Holder. These particular paper holders have three pockets; a full 12 inch pocket in the middle with half pockets on the front and back.  These work well for the smaller sized papers.  I have extra folders from my scrapbooking days so I haven't had to buy any new ones although I could really use a better way to store them.  The ones I use all the time are sitting upright on the floor next to my desk.  I have to walk around them constantly. Eventually, I hope to be in a place where I can get better organized and geared more toward card making than scrapbooking.


Now, on to my card for the Stamps, Ink, Paper Challenge #112.  The map paper is one from "The Getaway" paper pad.  Cutting narrow strips from another sheet of paper so that the words "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" could be repeated a few times down the front of my card.  I made my card base quite a bit larger than A2 Sized so that I didn't have to waste any of the paper.  I actually had a couple of this size card bases laying around from when I was working on a Wedding Card for my niece so I am planning to make another card in this size. I ended up using a specialty cardstock for my niece's card but not wanting to waste my good cardstock, I kept these to use another time.  I just didn't know that would happen so soon.

The sentiment came from a different 12 x 12 paper pad from Die Cuts With a View Gold & White Premium Stack.  There's a full sheet of sentiments that can be cut up for cards like I did on this one.  The rest of the card was adhered directly to the card base but I mounted the sentiment strip with Foam Tape. Even though the gold doesn't photograph all that well, this is a really striking card and I will definitely use all of these papers again.  Have a great day and I'll be back soon.

This card was chosen as a Winner at Stamps Ink Paper!

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous card Vicki!! I love the paper you choose and really love how you paper pieced the long sentiments. Great idea for organizing your paper! Thank you so much for joining us this week at Stamp Ink Paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cool.....love the paper, the sentiment, EVERYTHING! Thanks for playing with SIP theme this week, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card, Vicki! Thanks for joining the challenge this week at Stamp Ink Paper.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!