Thursday, November 2, 2017

Papertrey Ink's Make It Monday #302

Hello there!  Today's card is for this week's Make It Monday #302 with Stephanie Gold showing us less traditional ways to use twine, ribbon, and the like on our cards. Since we were using less traditional techniques I made my colors a little less than traditional by using Pine Feather with Autumn Rose and Scarlet Jewel Inks and coordinating patterned paper.

I started by die cutting a few of each of the die cuts from Spruce & Sprig Stamp Set and Spruce & Sprigs Coordinating Dies.  I used a negative as my place holder in my Mini Misti and stamped the die cuts in this way.  I prepared 2-3 of each piece as this makes it easy when you start assembling your arrangement.  I used Pine Feather for the dark green, Scarlet Jewel for the dark red berries and Autumn Rose for the rose colored springs.  This makes me think of when you do a planter and you need Pillars, Fillers and Spillers.  It's kind of the same philosophy.

I die cut a banner using the Number the Stars Banner Die, then stamped my sentiment from Beautiful Berries: Winter on the banner using Versamark and heat embossed it with Antique Gold Embossing Powder

I die cut a stitched rectangle panel from Scarlet Jewel Bitty Big in the wide stripes and attached it to my top folding card base made from Stamper's Select White Cardstock.  If you haven't seen the new Bitty Big Patterned Papers from Papertrey Ink, they are awesome. There are stripes, plaids and polka dots.  There is a wide stripe on one side of the paper and a narrower stripe on the opposite side so you can use whichever side you want. It's the same with the plaids and polka dots, so you just use whichever side you want. So far, 9 of the Papertrey Colors have been released, but each month a few more get released. I'm ready for some pink ones - Hibiscus Burst for instance.  The Spring Rain is just the most awesome color.  In fact, I think I might take it to do a color match for paint for my studio in the home we are building although I have already selected a similar color.


Next I die cut Rustic Wreath 3 times from Ocean Tides Cardstock.  Rather than stacking them one on top of the other, I staggered them to make my wreath appear fuller.  I put about 6 dots of Ranger Multi Medium Matte on the back side of each one and let them dry for a couple of minutes before moving on.

I had some Hemp Cord in burgundy that I tried out first but I didn't care for the look so I switched gears and used some thread.  I unwound enough of the Gold DMC Thread to make a messy "nest" of thread in front of my wreath.  I wrapped a small piece of Scor-Tape (with the release paper intact) around the side where the ends met so I could kind of keep it in the shape I desired without having to hold it constantly. I knew that my arrangement of greenery would cover that up so it was no big deal.

I adhered the striped paper to the card base and then using 1/8" Scor-Tape, stuck about 4 pieces on the back of my wreath layers to adhere it to the card front.  Using another skinny piece of Scor-Tape, I attached the gold thread on top of that at the left side.

I created the arrangement by using a combination of Scor-Tape, Kokuyo Dot Liner Adhesive, and Ranger Multi Medium Matte.  In the 2nd photo you can really see all the different layers.  The only part that I used foam tape for is the big cluster of berries.  The rest of the layers are laid on top of or tucked under the other parts. Even the banner is just stuck down with Kokuyo Adhesive.  It looks dimensional because it's laying on top of more layers.


In my attempt to really use ribbon and twine (albeit elevated quality twine) I made a small bow from some white sheer ribbon that has a gold accent thread.  Once I got the card finished and photographed, I decided it need a little something more so I added a few sequins from Lucy's Rose Gold Shaker Selection.  It even has those tiny stars in the mix like the one I added to the banner.
Before Sequins
Just for the sake of comparison,  the image on the left was before sequins.  I'm so happy with how this card turned out that I am planning to make a few more that are similar in design for a special blog hop that is coming to you this weekend.  We will be honoring Papertrey Ink's very own Designer and Design Team Member, Dawn McVey with a blog hop starting this Saturday at 7:00 a.m. over on the Papertrey Blog.  Everyone will be using stamps and dies designed by Dawn who received a small intestine transplant early last Sunday Morning.  She has a long recover so we are surprising her with the blog hop.  The linky will be open for 1 week and you can link up as many projects as you wish, as long as they all use one of the products that Dawn has designed. We hope to see you there!!

I am also linking this up to the challenge over at The Paper Players.  They have a Tic Tac Toe Challenge this week and I used the center row across: Christmas, Die Cut, and Wreath.

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic! The gold thread is brilliant. Love the colours you have used. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely STUNNING Vicki! I love the striped background for this card...it makes everything pop! Lovely, lovely card! And I'm excited for the blog hop this Saturday...my card is done! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful wreath! Love all the great elements you added.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! Thanks for sharing this gorgeous wintery creation with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is utterly fabulous! I love the wreath you've created - you must have a gift for flower arranging too! The striped and stitched background is just an inspired choice for your wreath. It's bright and modern and just plain lovely! Thanks for joining us at The Paper Players this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! I love the less traditional color combination as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vicki that fabulous wreath against the striped background is absolutely gorgeous! I love the addition of the gold sequins too. Thanks for sharing with us over at The Paper Players this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is stunning, Vicki! I love all the delicious layers and die cuts, and your perfect little bow makes this wreath complete. Thanks for sharing with us at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wreath is a standout on that wide-striped background, Vicki! The sequins really do add the right amount of bling. Beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for making my day by leaving an encouraging comment! It means the world to me when you do. Hugs!